Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Tremers

While I'm out here in Cali I wouldn't mind experiencing an earthquake, albeit not a big one. It was semi disconcerning to get earthquake emergency kits at work. The kits have first aid stuff and a self charging flashlight (which is kind of cool) and other odds and end things to get one by if the building tumbles. I'm sure our cubes will keep us safe. At least I feel pretty secure since I'm next to a support railing, which supposedly is the safest spot in an earthquake.

Anyway, I was posing the question as to the frequency of quakes out here and someone showed me this site. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/ It has a record of all earthquakes that happen in our region. Digging deeper I found that we had an earthquake last Sunday about 10 miles from our apartment and I didn't have a clue. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/nc51176897.php I'm wonder what does one have to register to feel it. 2.2 didn't quite cut it.

No comments: