Monday, August 06, 2007

Weekend wrap: Ubuntu



After a computer hard-drive crash I spend the weekend trying to get the computer up and running. I have two hard-drives so most of my important data is backed up on the second HD. But it's been a little while since my last backup so I wanted to get into the main HD that crashed. I left my windows CD's in MN and I didn't want to spend money on it so I got my work laptop and downloaded Ubuntu.

After downloading Ubuntu and burning it to a CD I hassled with it for a while to get it to load on a partition that didn't have anything of importance on it. Ubuntu works great on hardware that's not out of the ordinary, however, I have a wireless USB stick that I use for networking so I don't have a 25 ft long cable running across the living room. This USB stick cost me 1/2 my Sunday trying to get to work. (My computer almost ended up like the fax machine from Office Space) And now that I got it working I'm afraid to shut down my PC for fear of it freezing up after startup.

So know I get to experience Linux for a while until I get my Windows CD's. So far it's pretty cool, the only software I need that it doesn't have is iTunes which really sucks. If Linux had better driver support for hardware I'd say it's ready for the mainstream desktop market.

No comments: