Sunday, January 14, 2007

Media Center Weekend

So after the excitement died down with the new iPhone I decided to get an the 30 gig iPod with video capabilities. I figured I wanted something with more memory and I didn't want to use AT&T (Cingular) as my provider. I had a bad experience with them in the past so I'm not switching just because they got a cool product. I'm sure down the road other providers will get it and then I'll re-evaluate my options. Hopefully the price will have gone down by then also. So now that I have an iPod I've been spending a good chunk of the weekend converting my cd's to mp3's.

The other product announced at Macworld was an Apple TV. The Apple TV would be kind of cool. I figured it'd almost be worth it to cancel Blockbuster and use that money towards buying movies and TV shows. If there were enough TV shows offered online I would even consider cancelling cable TV and just downloading the shows I want to watch. I thought about it for a while and then decided to try out my XBox as a media player. I've never really thought about using it as a media center. However, since I've had Hayley it's pretty much just collected dust. Guys at work use the XBox all the time and stream media to their computers so I figure why not give it a shot. After spending 4 frustrating hours trying to figure it out and almost giving up I decided to check the cable connections. It was agonizing to find this was the problem. The cord connected to the XBox was loose. Soon after reconnecting cord to my wireless router I got wireless streaming media going to my XBox. Cool stuff. So now the XBox is a media center instead of a gaming machine.

No comments: