Thursday, April 12, 2007

LCS Terminated


I got out of a meeting today and read an email stating that the government terminated the LCS contract with Lockheed. Read I worked on LCS a few years ago so it's sad to see LM lose it. The first ship was just christened last september. The mood went from the feeling of a major success to flop in a very short time when news got out that the ship was 2X over budget. I've heard bits and pieces as to why the program got so out of control but I'll leave it out of this blog because I don't know what's accurate. I was really surprised to hear how much the programs cost had over run. I wonder why safe guards weren't in place to notify managers much sooner as to how much the program was projected to over run so something could have been done earlier. Who knows.

I'll be keeping an eye on how well General Dynamics performs on their LCS contract. Lockheed built the first LCS ship and General Dynamics started a year after. Even if they do perform on it I think they'll be able to look at the mistakes LM made and correct them so they'll look better.

No comments: