Sunday, June 24, 2007

New Driver

I've been looking for a new driver for what seems like forever now. I've been debating on buying a top of the line used one or go with a new one. Last night I saw a deal on Dick's Sports online for a R5 Taylor Made driver for $149 with a free box of balls that retail for $39. It was last years model that sold for $349. Since there is no Dick's Sports in CA I was faced with the dilemma of waiting until I got to MN to buy or order it online. I slept on it and in the morning I thought I'd check Sports Authority to see if they had the same deal. Sure enough they did. I was about to head out to the store to pick it up and I decided I better print it out so the sales person new what deal I was talking about. When I got the store I found the driver and hit it a few times in to the net. It's a great driver so I told the sales guy I'd take it and asked where the free golf balls were. I showed him the printout and he went and found the box of balls. He didn't believe it so he went to the office to check online to see if it was real. After spending about 15 minutes in the office he came back to say that the deal was only online. While he was in the office I noticed a sales sign with the deal on it and showed to him. He was in shock cuz of the price of the balls. Why would they give away a $40 box of balls for a $149 driver but he went with it. While I was checking out I had to deal with the cashier cuz the deal wasn't in the computer so she had to call back to the guy and figure what to do. After another 10 minutes of waiting I finally was on my way out of the store with my new driver.

Now it was on to the driving range. I found a range online that allowed golfers to hit off grass. (Most ranges around here are mats only) I bought the jumbo size bucket and hit mostly irons trying to figure out my swing. After about 110 balls I figured it out so I pulled out the driver and my first hit was a monster. I duffed a few after that but eventually I was hitting it long with a little slice. But I'm a duffer so I was happy with it. We'll see how it goes when I get it on the course.

So if you're in the market for a new driver check out this deal at Sports Authority or Dick's Sports. The deal is for any driver over $149 so if you want an upgrade you'll still get your free box of TaylorMade TP Black Golf Balls.

No comments: