Friday, June 08, 2007

Kids and TV

Jen and I have been watching the series Lost after Hayley goes to bed. Last night we started it after I got Hayley ready for bed. I figured letting her stay up for a few minutes while we started the show wouldn't be a big deal. After all at 20 months kids don't know what's going on while watching TV.

The show started out with a guy yelling at his wife to let him in the house. The woman consoled her son and told him to get under the bed and to stay there no matter what happens. The mom closes the door and the camera shows the kid watching the door while the background noise has the dad breaking the door down to the entrance of the house (not the kids room) and yelling at the mom. All of a sudden Hayley burst out crying reaching for Jen or I. I scrambled to turn the show off and Jen grabbed Hayley. Hayley started yelling naughty, naughty at the TV. After a minute we got her calmed down and let her stay up for about 15 minutes to make sure she was OK before putting her to bed.

Both Jen and I were in shock afterward. We could not believe that Hayley understood what was going on. I'm actually still in shock this morning. I feel terrible for putting Hayley through that. From now on we'll be a lot more observant to our surroundings and we'll make sure we read to her instead of watching TV with us before bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

see its all the others fault! That dang Ben is the cause of all that is evil in the world. You geuss it I'm totally hooked on Lost myself. I've tryed to get Ginger and Bruce to watch to. Now its just a fun game of where are the others. Right now I'd say in Calf.

Hey bro I'm catching up to you. Tiff's got me down to as of this morning 240 pounds! That's down from 277. I haven't had to do any work out other then a walk a couple of times a week. If your still trying to drop a couple more pounds have Tiff help you. It works. Kathy is down over 30 pounds to.

Anonymous said...

kids are waaay brighter and more observant than we give them credit for. I'm sure she won't be scarred for life ;-)