Thursday, April 17, 2008

Over Night Marathon and an ER Visit

We had another long overnight struggle of trying to catch some sleep in between Braxtyn and Elliott's feedings. Neither of the babies would cooperate and sleep at the same time. They also didn't seem to get enough during their feedings. As soon as we thought they had enough and they were content, sleeping in our arms they'd wake up and start whimpering for more. I was trying to run some tests for work as well during the night so it was crazy busy. Hayley also didn't help matters waking up a couple times.

Anyway, about 7am, after we thought we were ahead of the battle with both babies sleeping soundly, Jen had a clot dislodge and she started bleeding really bad. She called the hospital and they had her on hold forever, but eventually they told her to get to the ER ASAP. They also said if she felt faint at all to pull over and call 911. After hearing this I immediately had scatter brain. I was trying to figure out what to do with the kids, what to do with my lab session, and wondering who to call to watch the kids or if I should stay home and have someone run Jen to the hospital. Our project at work is pressed to get done and lab time is super tight so I didn't want my session to run over and waste anyone else's time. But immediately that became the lowest priority. Next was trying to figure out who to call. I tried Ali, who lives in our apartment complex, but she didn't answer. Then I thought about calling other moms in our apartment but I figured they all had kids that were sleeping and they'd probably have a hard time getting here. So I called Chad and he was fortunately on his way to work so he was able to swing over. I was still trying to decide if he should run her to the ER or if I should watch the kids. He doesn't have kids or any experience taking care of kids so I was nervous that all the kids would wake up at once and overwhelm him. But since the twins have been sleeping through the morning like clockwork I decided to run Jen in.

We got to the ER and we had to give our information at three different desks. The last desk we got to there was absolutely no urgency at all. My head was spinning with thoughts of "My wife is bleeding to death and you guys are picking your arses!! Get your lazy butts over here and take care of this" We finally get to give them our information and pay our co-pay and we end up waiting in the waiting room for another 25 minutes. Apparently the lady on the phone made this sound a lot more serious then what it was. I don't know I guess. I just hope I don't have to rely on that hospital to save my life. The doctor examined Jen and she had an ultra sound to check for any signs of missed afterbirth and blood work done to make sure she had enough oxygen and what not to make it through. She had to wait 2-3 hours for her ultra sound and blood work so I went home to check on the kids and Jen caught some ZZZZ's in the exam room. Thankfully Jens bleeding got a lot better. She had to monitor it close for the next 4 hours and if it didn't reside we were to head back to the hospital for a blood transfusion.

I'm thinking all the times Jen got up and down from the rocking chair and bed must have caused the bleeding. Darn kids. Today we're trying to keep them awake from 6pm until 9ish. I gave them both sponge baths when they were about to fall asleep to shock their systems. That actually work pretty well. We're off to bed, hopefully we get a few hours of sleep.

No comments: