Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Missing Fingers

OK I can't resist the urge any longer. After reading Ryan’s post about people finding fingers in their food, read it here, I need to tell a story about Jennie-O. I'll admit up front that I'm telling story second hand from someone that I worked with there. But there were a couple witnesses so I'm thinking it might be true. Just a warning before believing this story, I'm very gullible and these girls might have been filling me full of bologna, turkey bologna that is. Anyway, here goes -

This guy is working on this machine and loses a finger. He show's some girls on the line so they can get help for him. One of the girls throws up on the line and all the product has to be thrown out. The line is washed down really well, generally when a line gets washed down it can take up to an hour so imagine the time lost from this. When they finally startup again the figure comes out of the machine and the girl sees it. She throws up again on the line. The line has to be shut down and cleaned again.

OK maybe it wasn't that funny and I wish I knew for sure of it was true or not. But I did meet the guy they claimed it happened to and he was missing a finger. So who knows? You can judge for yourself.

Just an FYI - To this day I have no problem eating anything made at Jennie-O. They have a great Quality Control program and they don't screw around with product safety. If there is even a hint of something wrong they'll throw out the entire batch of product.

No comments: