Monday, March 21, 2005

Repair the repairable

Jen and I got a totaled truck last December and had her brother fix the body damage. The truck cost us $9000 after taxes and about $2000 more for the repairs. It was a pretty good deal for a top of the line 2000 F-150 with low miles. I love the power of the 5.4L motor even though I paid $50 to fill the tank on Sunday (ouch). Anyway, the truck had its first hiccup on Friday. The engine started shaking and the truck had lost some power. (Puddle jumping is not a good idea)

After the Kennedy Transmission guy tried to bend me over last December, telling me my trany was out on my Explorer and it would cost $2000 to fix it, but not to worry cuz he'd give me $300 dollars for it. Well after having my trany oil and filter changed the Explorer ran just fine.

So now I got it in my head that I'm done with these ma pa shops until I can find a trusted mechanic so I brought it in to the local Ford dealer. I figured it was a bad spark plug or the timing was off a little. After waiting a few minutes the guy came back to give me the assessment. First he said a coil was bad, and that fouled a spark plug. Then he gave me some mumbo jumbo about how it needed the injectors cleaned. I'm like OK. And BAM $525 LATER I'M ON THE ROAD AGAIN. hmmmm I maybe should've thought about that a little more before I gave the go ahead. But the truck is running better then it has since I got it.

Well on an upbeat note, the dealer did have 4 brand spanken new Ford GT's ($155,000 a piece) in the show room. I'm going to get some pics of them and I'll post them later. They also had a lot of 2005 Mustangs, some those were Saleens so that was cool.

No comments: